Midnight Pearl Background

Monday, August 29, 2016

Week 52: Kelowna = The Promised Land

TRANFSER WEEK WAS CRAZY!!!!!! Monday was crazy trying to pack and get everything ready!!! This was my first "flight" on the mission and I had to get rid of a ton of stuff!!! So that took quite a while!!  Monday night was so
good though! We met with some members and their daughter just got back from her mission in Indiana so she gave us lots of mission tips!!! Then we had a GREAT lesson with Beatrice and Foziea!!! They are from South Sudan and speak Arabic!! We got them Arabic B.O.M.s and we read the introduction with them and Moroni's promise and IT CLICKED FOR THEM!! They both realized how important it was to read the B.O.M. and boy did they have a strong desire!!!! IT WAS SO COOL!!!! It made me feel super happy knowing that I was leaving Surrey and they were progressing and well on their way!!! Oh my goodness so happy!!!!!! Sister Magleby and I just looked at each other during the lesson and we were just amazed at how strong the spirit was!!! Tuesday...the crazy day!!! So I had to be to the mission office by 9am, so all the sisters met at the Stake Center and we said our goodbyes and then I was wisked away!!! COOL PART THOUGH....SISTER BRIMHALL CAME AND I GOT TO SEE HER!!!!!!!!! I LOVE HER SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!! SHE IS LEAVING LANGLEY :( BUT IT'S ALL GOOD WE'RE GOING TO GO BACK AND VISIT FOR SURE!!! Anyway... I sat at the mission office until 1pm!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND
THEN GUESS WHO WALKS THROUGH THE DOOR!!!!!! SISTER HAWKE!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
It was like a mission reunion! Oh my goodness we freaked out!!!!! She is replacing me in Surrey 3rd, so I got to show her pictures and we just had fun!! Then I got taken to the airport!!! All was good...we get to the gate and the sister I'm with says the worst thing you can say in an airport...no nothing about B.O.Ms...I CAN'T FIND MY WALLET!!!!!!!!!! Oh my goodness!!!! So when we travel we don't have phones or anything, so luckily I had Surrey 3rd's number memorized and we borrowed a random guy's phone and called them, and then called the Assistants and they were SO STRESSED OUT!!!! WHEN MISSIONARY TRAVEL PLANS ARE RUINED IT'S NOT GOOD!!! So we find out where her wallet is, in a mission car, but there's only 10-15 min till our flight LEAVES, so she calls the sisters and tells them to DRIVE SO FAST TO THE AIRPORT...she didn't have any form of ID, so she was either going to miss her flight or run so fast and hopefully make her flight...so she drops her bags and I said I would take them on the plane if she
didn't come back and she starts running back...she had to go back through security!!! In the meantime...I'm like how am I going to take four carry ons on the plane...well then I see a group of Elders and I summoned them and they helped me!! It was a blessing!!!! Haha Right as we were about to get on the plane..last call..she COMES RUNNING TO THE GATE!!!!! SHE MADE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Man it was intense...45 min later we were in Kelowna!!! Then I GOT TO SEE MY MOM.....well mission mom....SISTER RICKS!!!!!!!! I literally saw all of my companions in one day!!!!!!! Heavenly Father was smiling upon me!!! Then I met my new companion Sister Esplin! She's from Elko, Nevada!!!!!!!!!! We're the only two sisters in the mission {that we know of} from Nevada!!!! So we are stoked and we keep getting told Nevada jokes, and asked if we're gamblers and all that jazz...it's not very funny after a while. Wednesday was a great day!!! We met with so many people and had so many great lessons!!!! I LOVE KELOWNA!!!!!!!!!!!! It's so pretty here!!!! The people are so nice!! It's a big town but it has a small town feel!!! It's so wonderful!!!!! We had a miracle..we were downtown and we were trying to figure out where to go and we decided to try this recent convert Jenny who hasn't been able to come to church
because of work and she's so busy being a mom and stuff that they haven't been able to meet with her!! Well...she was home and sat down with us and we had such a spirit filled lesson!!!!!!! It was so great!!!!! 
Thursday we planned and I started to learn the area...it's confusing here because it's all NAME STREETS not NUMBER STREETS like Surrey and Langley. We met with Patricia and we set a baptismal date with her for September 24th!!! She is all ready to be baptized she just has to quit smoking!!!!!! THE STRUGGLE!!!! Every person I've helped to be baptized has had to do this and it's so hard for them!!! So to motivate her a little we decided to stop biting our nails...one of our bad habits and so far I've been doing so good!!! I have only caught myself once!!! I painted them all purdy that way I won't bite them!!! Hopefully this will help!! Her true friend Sister Packard is doing it too!!!! We also met with a former investigator named Connie who has tried to investigate the Gospel now 5 times and it's never worked. We had a sweet lesson and she said it's just her lifestyle that is keeping her from joining, and she's too busy to commit, {I was feeling bold} so I read her the scripture about seek ye first the kingdom of
God and then I asked her if she had the faith that God would help her...she said uh...yes!!! So we're super excited to help her!!! 
Saturday was a HUGE MIRACLE DAY!!!!!!!! It was walking day and we went on exchanges, so I went with Sister Steele from Hawaii!!! We went to Robinette's house {she's a recent convert} and when we were walking in we see this lady step out of her car, and so we start talking to her!!! We had a great convo with her, well after like 2 min...she finally lets on that SHE IS A MEMBER OF OUR WARD AND SHE'S HERE TO SEE ROBINETTE TOO!!!! hahaha I totally forgot we had called this member to come with us like my first day here!!!! hahah so embarrassing!!!! Early in the morning we had been joking about how we never get media referrals and how cool it would be to get one...well at 7:30pm WE GOT A MEDIA REFERRAL!!!! We had no clue where this lady lived but we had a strong prompting to call her immediately!!! So we did. Her name is Sarah and turns out we were walking like 1k down from her house!!! So we start walking there and IT'S OUT OF OUR AREA, so we got permission to go, but now it's like 8PM and we have to be in at 9PM. We were still pretty far away from our car so we ran!!!! We get there and it is not the nicest apartment building, and we were a little scared...but she let us in and she said she had a Jesus picture card and she called the number on the back to get a free DVD...WHAT?!?!? THAT NEVER HAPPENS!!!!! THOSE CARDS ACTUALLY WORK!!!!!!!! So we taught her about the  B.O.M. briefly, and she was so excited so we invited her to be baptized and she said she was so excited and she felt loved :) Aw!!!! We didn't have the DVD she requested so we planned to meet her
again 
on Sunday and she was still so excited!!! She said we were her angels :) We passed her off to the Elders and she should be well on her way to learning the gospel!!!! Sunday was fun!!! It was my first time meeting the ward!!! They are so fun!!! And even better...there was a family visiting from Surrey 3rd ward at church so I got to give her a big hug and it made me miss Surrey even more!!!!! Today we are just planning on BUYING FOOD!!!  We have been living off of cheese, bread, and oatmeal for this week!!! I am so excited to eat FRUIT!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAH and veggies!!!!!  There's also a zoo here in the Okanagan {Eastern BC} where you can hold a baby Kangaroo for $10 :) We might not have time to do that today, but next week for sure!!! IT'S GOING TO BE AWESOME!!!!! Also I LOVE GETTING UPDATES ON INVESTIGATORS FROM OLD AREAS HERE'S ONE FROM BROOKSWOOD FROM SISTER BRIMHALL:
*the highlighted parts are my favorite :)

We taught Jolene this week! It has been a few weeks since we saw her last,

so it was good to follow up on her  B.O.M. reading. She is almost
through Alma! We asked her if she knew the Book of Mormon was true and she
said yes! We read the last paragraph of the Introduction with her and
invited her to be baptized again. We explained to her the importance
 of priesthood authority and she said that it made more sense.
We taught her about tithing and fasting and commited her to fast and pray
to know if she should be baptized. I totally milked it and guilt tripped her into
coming to church and told her that it could be my last Sunday and that I
wanted to see her there. SHE CAME!!!!!! I have never been more excited! I
think I cried the entire time because I was so happy! We have been trying
to get her to church since March and it finally happened! The spirit was so
strong during Sacrament meeting. 


YAYAYAYAYYAYAYYAYAYAY!!!!!!!!! I LOVE TO HEAR THAT MY OLD INVESTIGATORS ARE PROGRESSING!!!!!!!!! IT MAKES ME SO HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so happy to be here in Kelowna :) It's going to be a blast and I'm really excited!!!!
Love,
Sister Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment