Midnight Pearl Background

Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Week 23: Skirts & Sledgehammers

This week has been busy and we've had lots of cool experiences!!! Tuesday was my 5 months mark!!! In mission years I'm 20!!! {each month is 5 years} Sister Holbrook made that up and passed it on hahaha We had a really good day and visited with a less active who sells herbs!! She did a test on me for some problems I'm having and
gave me Kelp to take everyday...like a lot everyday!!! Hahah I was like AHH I DON'T WANT TO TURN INTO A MERMAID!!!! Hopefully it will start working soon!! 
Later we went to go visit another Less Active lady and we drove by the house and I just got this weird feeling...I thought in my mind....I hope she didn't pass away...she was older and had been not feeling well a few days before so we dropped off a card. Well we called and her husband said she has passed away Saturday :( It was so sad! She was so sweet! She had a hard time remembering, and so sometimes we would visit and she would ask 2 or 3 times where we were from BUT she could always feel the spirit and she loved hearing about the gospel. A few days earlier we had dropped off a card and her husband said she got it before she died! I know she is in a much better place and she is probably so happy!!!! I'm going to miss her! Wednesday we saw our biggest MIRACLE!!! It was a terribly dreary and wet day TERRIBLE FOR TRACTING!!! So we made the best of our time and hit the stores to find people! While we were in Walmart Sister Christensen commented on this guys hat and we started a conversation about native art and such. We asked him where he was from he said Alert Bay (super north and an hour ferry ride east) He then said his name was Arthur. Immediately I
remembered that we had a media referral (someone who looks at Mormon.org who had requested a Book of Mormon and he was from Alert Bay and his name was Arthur! It's not that big, so I asked if it was him! He said no but it was HIS COUSIN!!!!! Wowza! Because we are in Campbell River our area doesn't go up that north so we have been trying for months to get a Book of Mormon to this guy! Well our new friend said he was catching the ferry over tonight and he would take the Book of Mormon and give it to his cousin Arthur!!! WHAT A BLESSING!!!!!!!!! It was so cool! When we were leaving he gave us a BIG hug!! We couldn't escape it or even turn it into an awkward handshake situation...BUT Natives give the best hugs I found out!! Haha He said IS THIS ODD OR IS THIS GOD? My new favorite saying! Everything happens for a reason!!! It's never just a coincidence! Heavenly Father's hand is always in the details! 
Thursday I had to go to the Orthodontist....it's been like 10 years since I've sat in an ortho chair! My retainer cracked so I needed to make a new one! It was weird to be "in the real world" and have to worry about "real world things" hahaha #missionlife They were SUPER SURPRISED that I'd had my retainer since 7th grade! hahah they said it was in such good shape and they were proud of me! BUT because it cracked my tooth moved so they said I had to wear my retainer for A WHOLE WEEK then they would make me a new one....I WAS SO MAD!!!! I have a terrible lisp now and I can't even say MISSIONARIES right and i say that like 5000000 times a day!!! Uh...I sound so dumb! I can't wait till Thursday when they make me a new one and I can go back to wearing it just a night! Friday was good! We had a lesson with Marilyn again and all the questions she was asking could be found easily in the Book of Mormon! We have been telling her to read and pray but this time we hammered it in! We said she needed to find out for herself from God. Contrary to popular belief...not everything is found within the pages of the Bible! Why? Because God planned to reach out and call another prophet just like in days of old so we would
need other scriptures to clarify things and give us new direction from God. That's why we use the Bible and the Book of Mormon side by side!!! As I've studied the Restoration I've found that what once was confusing and a source of a lot of doubt in my mind has now become so logical and valid!!! I LOVE the restoration and I'm so grateful for it! God would never leave us without direction if we were ready to receive it and I'm glad we have prophets to lead us today just like in the old days! Anyway...back to Marilyn! She needs to read and pray to know if it's true and that's only going to come from personal revelation from God. Not from the internet {worst place to go for info hahah} , not from friends, not from JUST the bible, but directly from GOD!!!! We are hoping next week that she will have had an experience with the Book of Mormon and we can continue teaching her all the other gospel messages we as missionaries have to share!!!
Friday 
night we had a member visit with one of the YSA girls in our ward and it was SO MUCH FUN!!! I've realized since I've been a missionary I have only hung around old people...not that I don't love their wisdom and yummy food and such BUT I really miss YSA age people! We had such a great time at Tim Hortons (Canada "Starbucks" basically).  Saturday was another miracle! We were just walking along and we were really confused as to where we should go and just after we got done praying and we were going to go somewhere new we walked passed this lady's house...Linda. She was ripping out a handicap ramp in her front yard. We asked if we could help and at first she laughed and said no because we were in skirts...well we showed her! We started helping and all we had was a hammer, a crowbar and a shovel!!! We did good work!!!
We didn't get it all finished so we said we would stop by on Monday
 which was a holiday up here and help out more. So yesterday we called Bishop and asked him if we could borrow some tools....so I used a SLEDGE HAMMER AND A POWER SAW!!!! I felt so mighty and awesome! hahahahah It was so fun to do service!! I know as a missionary I'm "serving" but for some reason I don't see that as this kind of service. I felt like I had really helped her and I felt so good and happy afterwards!!! Sunday was really good too! The missionary committee in the ward did a special fast for the less actives and part members in the ward and it was SO GOOD! I have grown to love fasting and the spirit that comes from that simple sacrifice once a month. SO many blessings too :) We are pretty sure I'm being transferred in March so this was going to be my last fast Sunday in the Campbell River Ward....so I got up and bore my testimony! The last time I had gotten up was my first Sunday here. It was really cool to see how I've changed because of the people in this ward and the experiences I've had here. If I do get transferred I'm going to miss it here! It's all I know mission-wise so far! :( crazy I've spent 1/3 of my mission in this little place though! I <3 Campbell River!! Today was good! We are emailing late because we went to get fabric and Diane our Recent Convert helped us make skirts!! They turned out pretty good!! So mom you can be proud I worked on my sewing skills and dad you can be proud I used power tools this weekend :) hahaha Overall it was SUCH A GOOD WEEK! We didn't teach much but we had so many good experiences that made it worth it! 

Bye for Now!
Love,
Sister Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment