Midnight Pearl Background

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Week 22: Let us compare my mission to that of a roller coaster....

The mission is probably the most roller coaster-like experience I'll ever have!!! Or at least it seems that way! One week (last week) you'll have tons of MIRACLES and you find people to teach and everything in the world is RIGHT!! Then you have another week (this week) where all you're plans fall through and you feel like you didn't do very much. Don't get me wrong mission life is still good...it's just UP AND DOWN! Consistency is rare :) hahaha As my wonderful Mission President says,
"Your mission is preparing you for the rest of your life"...so I better get used to this way of life eh? So here's my play by play for this week (see that sports reference dad :) Monday I got to meet the cutest little dog!! These members in our ward got a new little Maltese/Yorkie/All kind of small dog mix and her name is Coco Chanel :) hahaha As missionaries we aren't supposed to hold children (elders might drop them..hehe jk) It's just a rule and so holding little Coco was so fun!! She was like a little baby! I love her! Tuesday we had a lesson with Trevor that fell through but we had a member with us so we decided to go visit a less active lady who was sick and leave her a note. We went on a few adventures that afternoon and I had a ton of fun :) I love the Sisters in the ward up here! They all remind me of my mom and some of the women I look up to back home :) Tuesday night we went to a French Feast at a members home! Their daughter had to cook a 5 course French meal for a school project and they were so awesome and they invited us!! IT WAS SO GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!! We had this amazing cheese spread, chicken to die for, yummy french onion soup, and
creme brulee for dessert! YUM!!! No snails though...I was thrilled!!!  
We had planned to teach two of our new families that night but both of them cancelled :( Sad day since we were planning on asking them to be baptized! It just wasn't the right timing apparently! Hopefully this week we can meet with them! Wednesday we had a few lessons and we got a new investigator so that was exciting! That night we went with Bishop to home teach Diane, our recent convert, and it was so fun! It's cool to see how she is growing in the gospel! After the lesson we stayed and helped her continue to sew little nightgowns for her grand-babies! I'm getting better at reading patterns mum! I may be a pro by the time I get home :) Thursday in a nutshell...uneventful...we ate...we slept..we planned, we tracted...probably met a crazy person and woke up again  Friday :) haha So Friday we met with Marilyn (She's the one I talked to 3-4 months ago who called us.) We had a really good lesson with her! She's so close on her search for the truth! She says her expectations for a church and names things off in the bible that are SO TRUE  and we're like HELLO...OVER
HERE...restored gospel!!!! It's so cool to know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is the true church!! I grew up saying it in my testimony because everyone else did...come on people we all know the classic "I know this church is true" line. Now I can really say I KNOW THIS CHURCH IS TRUE! I see the evidence of the Restoration every day. Some days when people bash us and doubt starts to creep in it's cool how I can prove the gospel to myself and how I can always find something that builds my testimony. Friday 
night we had a ward activity the Spaghetti Western...where we ate spaghetti and all manner of carbs and watched a Western movie! There were 30 people packed into a small home hahaha It was tons of fun! Diane brought some of her clients and friends and there were less actives and lots of people! We couldn't stay for the movie obviously but as I was leaving I saw that it they chose a western movie with Tom Selleck. hahaha anyway apparently he comes and visits Campbell River often because he has a house (probably a mansion) here...I just remember him from Friends...but all the Sisters in the ward were like YES! When they saw it was one of his movies HAHAHAHAH Since all of our members were being cowboys for the
night we had to hit the stores and try to find people! We had some really good conversations and talked to lots of people! Saturday 
was good! We found a little mexican place (like mexican subway)....it was okay...nothing like good ole-Faustos back home!!! I survived though. We tracted a ton and we got to meet with Wayne and Dorothy! We shared the talk His Grace is Sufficient by Brad Wilcox from a old BYU Devotional. In the talk it compares Jesus Christ and his grace to a mom paying for piano lessons! It was perfect because Dorothy let me play her piano again and I even brought my own hymnbook so I could actually play! I'm getting better considering I only get like 20 seconds of practice a week :) 

"Christ’s arrangement with us is similar to a mom providing music lessons for her child. Mom pays the piano teacher. Because Mom pays the debt in full, she can turn to her child and ask for something. What is it? Practice! Does the child’s practice pay the piano teacher? No. Does the child’s practice repay Mom for paying the piano teacher? No. Practicing is how the child shows appreciation for Mom’s incredible gift. It is how he takes advantage of the amazing opportunity Mom is giving him to live his life at a higher level. Mom’s joy is found not in getting repaid but in seeing her gift used seeing her child improve. And so she continues to call for practice, practice, practice. If the child sees Mom’s requirement of practice as being too overbearing (“Gosh, Mom, why do I need to practice? None of the other kids have to practice! I’m just going to be a professional baseball player anyway!”), perhaps it is because he doesn’t yet see with Mom’s eyes. He doesn’t see how much better his life could be if he would choose to live on a higher plane."

Sunday was SO GOOD!!! Diane brought her friend to church! Seriously the BEST RECENT CONVERT!!! She loves sharing the gospel and it's so fun to see! It was cool to see her explain things to her friends, show her around, and all that jazz!  In the afternoon we did some beach contacting and we were looking for starfish and people! We flipped over so many rocks but didn't see any starfish :( sad day! We did find this cute little 2 year old boy and his grandma and he walked over to me grabbed my hand and started running across the rocky beach saying "come here!!! See!!" I was like who is this kid! hahah he was running straight for the water!! He was so cute :) We had dinner with the family we live with which is always THE BEST! and we shared the story of Nephi and the ship and made paper boats :) super fun! THAT WAS MY WEEK! Some uneventful days and some good days, but we had a fun time all in all!!! 

Tomorrow is my 5 month mission birthday!! Whoop Whoop!
Hope everyone is doing well!!!

Love ya,
Sister Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment