Midnight Pearl Background

Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Week 1: All about the Compound

Hello world!!


Everything is going good on the compound (a.k.a. The MTC). The first few days I was just on a spiritual high and everything was new and awesome! However, the last couple days have been hard! I got the MTC plague which is just a cold/flu that has been going around...GROSS!!! The doctor told us (Sister Trawick and I) to go to sleep!! It's crazy how much knowledge we get everyday! We have about 10 hours of class a day and it's all focused on the gospel and our purpose as missionaries. Let me just say, I am so glad I am not learning a language! My brain would be mush!! So far I've taught 2 lessons to our investigator Eddie (our teacher pretending to be an investigator from her mission). The first lesson was terrible! Haha We committed her to baptism and then she was like wait what's true? Hahaha We didn't even teach her the first lesson and she said yes!!!! Our second lesson with her was SO GOOD!!!!!! Sister Graver and I listened to the spirit and our lesson was GOLD...or just better than the first. We taught her the first lesson and the importance of the Book of Mormon and she said she would read it!!!! We were so excited that we actually taught a lesson that went well! We meet with her again tomorrow.

Sister Graver
Sunday was Fast Sunday and let me tell you it was the hardest!! Here at the MTC we eat at 4:30pm which is 3:30pm in Nevada and so I'm basically starving once we get back to our residence halls at night. I was starting to get sick and I was starving, but I really wanted to fast. I ended up having a terrible day while everyone else had a great one. I was taught something really important by one of the Branch Presidency wives...she said that fasting is all about the intent in our hearts. After I realized that I ended up having a great day and I wasn't focused on how terrible I felt. Later that night we watched a MOVIE!! It's actually just a talk by Elder Bednar, but it was a nice break from the classroom. You all should watch it!! Its called the Character of Christ by Elder Bednar that he gave in the MTC on Christmas Day. One of the greatest things I learned from it was, 

"Who cares what you want!! Turn outward, not inward, and get over yourself. Its not about you!" It was so funny to hear an apostle of the Lord say those things, but it's true!! We as missionaries need to turn outward like Christ did, and when we do that miracles can happen. Yesterday was my birthday and I actually forgot until my whole room started singing to me!!! (we did sing some Taylor Swift...I'm definitely feeling 22 in this MTC, everyone seems like babies they are so "young" hahah) When I got to class the Elders left jelly beans on my desk which was sweet because we only get $6-8 a week and they don't really talk to us sisters so it was great!!! 
Birthday Jelly Beans
We also had our first T.R.C. which is a REAL INVESTIGATOR!!!!! Holy cow! We didn't know much about her so we didn't know how to prepare. Before the lesson we wanted to do the plan of salvation, but I wasn't really feeling it and I could not retain any of the information so I told Sister Graver that I felt we shouldn't teach it.She said that maybe we should just ask questions and teach the Restoration. When we entered the room our investigator was already tired and stressed because she meets with 8 sets of missionaries a day (why are you not converted yet Sister!!! Hopefully we can change that!!) She was very defensive and was asking questions about the church that I don't even know how to answer! However, I felt calm the whole time. The first thing she said to us after all that was PLEASE DON'T TEACH ME THE PLAN OF SALVATION I'VE HEARD IT LIKE A HUNDRED TIMES!!! She then proceeded to tell us the plan of salvation lesson word for word...better than I could have ever done!!! That showed me how important it is to follow promptings! During the lesson I had more promptings to tell her about my experiences before my mission and to teach the restoration, but my companion (who I later figured out was having a hard time) kept asking questions so I didn't want to interrupt. TERRIBLE MISTAKE!!! Because I didn't follow those promptings, our lesson tanked. AND I MEAN BAD!!! My companion and I sat for like an hour afterward talking about everything and how we can improve. Part of that was learning how to communicate to each other and knowing when we need to switch off in order to meet our investigators needs. We learned a lot from that and it was hard to admit our weaknesses, but we are so much better because of it! One thing I've learned here is that in order to help investigators you need to apply the Doctrine of Christ (faith, repentance, baptism/covenants, holy ghost, and enduring to the end) to your life first. If you aren't converted, how can you go out and expect your investigators to be converted?! MIND BLOWN/HUMBLED!!!

My MTC teachers Brother Pritchett and Sister Graham are the BOMB.COM!!! They have such great stories that I can relate to and I'm grateful that I was placed in my district!!! While the MTC is hard because it exposes all your weaknesses, it also builds you up and you learn so much about the gospel. I seriously have my mind blown everyday! I say things that I know can only come by the spirit. It amazes me how many miracles and cool experiences happen if we just rely on the spirit. Here are some cool things that happened this week:

Sister Ralston
 I ran into Sister Sydney Ralston from Reno this week!!!  This was a blessing because I felt so unloved and sad, but then I saw her and she made me so happy!!!! She is going to do great in the Philippines!!!
We got to walk up to the Provo temple which was great!! I love getting off the compound :) Our room loves to be crazy and we had a photo shoot that was just the greatest thing ever!!! We are so tacky!!! Maybe I'll post some pictures...on second thought....maybe not Hahahahaha!

Service Project / My Roomies!
At the end of our roommate prayers we say 1....2....3....BISQUE!!!!! (its from Studio C look it up, it's hilarious) but we changed it to B.I.S.C...."Because I serve Christ!!!" Also my companion said I don't like to Buttercoat things because it doesn't work...I said yeah because your trying to Buttercoat it and you're supposed to sugarcoat it....I'm not sure if we were super tired or what, but that was pretty much the funniest thing ever. At dinner the other night our district just needed to get closer and take a break so we played this fun cup game..not sure if that's against the rules but it was THE BEST!!!

Cleaning Crew
So far we are just trying to have fun, be focused, and feel the spirit!!! All is going well! I leave for Vancouver in a week and I couldn't be more excited!!!!!!!!! Trust in the spirit, have faith in Christ and you'll always do great!!!

Love you all,
Sister Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment